Jay C. Salsman
Jay Salsman joined Harris, Creech, Ward & Blackerby in 2005 and is a partner in the firm. His practice focuses on a wide variety of civil litigation matters. Jay defends professionals in claims alleging malpractice and represents businesses, insurance companies, and individuals in matters involving personal injury, premises liability, commercial disputes, and construction defects. He additionally represents insurers in first-party litigation involving complex coverage issues, allegations of bad faith, and subrogation.
Jay maintains an active presence in the state trial and appellate courts, as well as all three federal district courts in North Carolina. He has diverse trial experience, involving claims for wrongful death alleging medical malpractice, general personal injury matters, premises liability claims, and insurance coverage disputes involving incendiary fires. Jay has also arbitrated numerous cases, pertaining to construction disputes and claims seeking UIM/UM benefits.
Jay has extensive appellate experience, successfully bringing and defending appeals on behalf of his clients. Published appellate decisions in which he has been involved, include, among others: Philips v. Pitt County Memorial Hospital, 572 F.3d 176 (4th Cir. 2009); Farm Bureau v. Cully’s Motorcross Park, 366 N.C. 505, 742 S.E.2d 781 (2013); Brown v. Kindred Nursing Centers East, L.L.C., 364 N.C. 76, 692 S.E.2d 87 (2010); Kornegay v. Robinson, 360 N.C. 640, 637 S.E.2d 516 (2006); Philips v. Pitt County Memorial Hospital, 775 S.E.2d 479 (N.C. Ct. App. 2015); Philips v. Pitt County Memorial Hospital, 222 N.C. App. 511, 731 S.E.2d 462 (2012); Lowd v. Reynolds, 205 N.C. App. 208, 695 S.E.2d 479 (2010); MacFadden v. Louf, 182 N.C. App. 745, 643 S.E.2d 432 (2007); and Smith v. Serro, 185 N.C. App. 524, 548 S.E.2d 566 (2007).
Jay received his Juris Doctor from Wake Forest University School of Law in 2005 a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2002 from DeSales University, graduating summa cum laude. He is “AV” rated by Martindale-Hubbell and has been selected as a North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Star” from 2010 through 2017.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Litigation - Defense of Professional Liability
- Other Allied Health Professionals
- Attorneys and Other Professionals
- Automobile Liability
- Construction Liability
Cyber Liability & Privacy Law
- First Party Claims
- Coverage Opinions
- Bad Faith Litigation
- Unfair and Deceptive Trade Practice Claims
- Arson Investigation and Defense Against Arson Claims
- Bachelor of Arts, (Criminal Justice), DeSales University, Center Valley, PA, 2002, summa cum laude
- Juris Doctor, Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC, 2005
- Craven County Bar Association
- Judicial District 3B Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- United State Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit