R. Brittain Blackerby
Britt Blackerby came home to New Bern in 1992, joining Tom Harris and David Creech in the foundation of the current firm. He brought to the firm his skill as a litigator in defense of professional liability claims, primarily representing physicians, hospitals and other health care providers.
Britt has grown and refined his practice to include defense of other professional liability claims beyond health care, as well as many areas of civil litigation. Among these are construction liability, products liability, personal injury claims and catastrophic injury claims resulting from trucking or other accidents.
Britt completed his undergraduate work at the University of North Carolina at Wilmington, where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree. He went on to Campbell University School of Law where he received his Juris Doctor.
Britt is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in North Carolina, representing clients from pretrial phases through litigation and the appellate process. He is regularly called upon to address health care professionals on subjects such as physician and nursing negligence and corporate liability. Among his special areas of expertise are the representation of professionals before licensing boards and the mediation of disputes in lieu of litigation. He is also a certified Mediator in North Carolina Superior Court Civil Actions.
Since 2005, Britt has been consistently rated AV by Martindale-Hubbell®, which is their highest peer review rating awarded.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Litigation - Defense of Professional Liability
- Physicians and Other Health Care Providers
- Attorneys and Other Professionals
- Personal Injury
- Construction Liability
- Products Liability
- Catastrophic Injury Claims
Disputes Concerning Professional Licensure
Business Law and Contracts
- Bachelor of Arts, (English Literature and Language), University of North Carolina at Wilmington, 1989
- Juris Doctor, Campbell University, 1992
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Craven County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Eastern North Carolina Inn of Court
- North Carolina Super Lawyers, Professional Liability: Defense 2010-2013
- Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice 2011-2017; Personal Injury 2012-2017
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of North Carolina