W. Gregory Merritt
Greg Merritt came to Harris, Creech, Ward & Blackerby in 1998, following two years as law clerk to the Honorable Malcolm J. Howard, District Judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. He concentrates his practice in the defense of insurance claims and coverage disputes and in the defense of professional liability claims involving either medical or legal malpractice.
Mr. Merritt attended the University of North Carolina, where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree. He went on to the Campbell University School of Law where he earned his Juris Doctor with high honors. Among his distinctions were being Editor at Large of the Campbell Law Review and a member of both the John Marshall and the American Bar Association Moot Court teams.
Mr. Merritt’s focus upon litigation has found him representing clients in both state and federal courts throughout North Carolina. He is also admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Litigation - Defense of Professional Liability
- Allied Health Professionals
- Attorneys and Other Professionals
- Individuals before their professional licensing boards
- Automobile Liability
- Construction Liability
- Bachelor of Science (Business Administration), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1990
- Juris Doctor, Campbell University, 1996, magna cum laude
- Permanent Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Craven County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- President (2008-2010); Vice President (2006-2008); Secretary/Treasurer (2000-02), Eastern North Carolina Inn of Court
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- Supreme Court of the United States