W. Gregory Merritt
Greg Merritt joined Harris, Creech, Ward & Blackerby in 1998, after completing a two year clerkship for the Honorable Malcolm J. Howard, District Judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina. Greg concentrates his practice in the defense of insurance claims and coverage disputes, as well as the defense of professional liability claims involving either alleged medical or legal malpractice. Greg also represents individuals before their professional licensing boards.
Greg graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, with a BS in Business Administration. He then graduated from Campbell University School of Law where he earned his Juris Doctor with high honors.
Greg regularly appears in all levels of North Carolina State court and federal courts. He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court.
Greg is also "AV" rated by Martindale-Hubbell®, which is their highest peer review rating awarded.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Litigation - Defense of Professional Liability
- Allied Health Professionals
- Attorneys and Other Professionals
- Individuals before their professional licensing boards
- Automobile Liability
- Construction Liability
- Bachelor of Science (Business Administration), University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1990
- Juris Doctor, Campbell University, 1996, magna cum laude
- Permanent Member, Fourth Circuit Judicial Conference
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Craven County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- President (2008-2010); Vice President (2006-2008); Secretary/Treasurer (2000-02), Eastern North Carolina Inn of Court
- 2017 Board of Directors for the North Carolina American Society of Healthcare Risk Management
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
- Supreme Court of the United States
- North Carolina Super Lawyers (2010-2016)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite (2008, 2014-2017)
- Business North Carolina 2017 Legal Elite top honor in the category of litigation
- Best Lawyers (2013-2017)